Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Writer's Conference Confoundment

So, my dear and fabulous husband has splurged and purchased me a trip to my first ever Writer's Conference.

I feel:

Excited - oooh, what fun!

Scared - what in the world has my husband gotten me into?

Nervous - I'm going to be around Real Authors™

Not Worthy - who do I think I am going to something like this - I mean, my WIP isn't even finished - and for that matter, why isn't it finished, I mean, really? Why not???

Confused - can I go to a conference when I haven't even published anything? I've hardly even finished anything?

Self-Conscious - what would Real People™  who know where I live think if they knew I was doing something as weird as this?

Thrilled - there's a good chance I'll get to meet a couple Prosers in real life!

So, here's a question of the day -


What the heck am I supposed to do?


And here are a few sites that might be helpful:


Getting the Most Out of a Writer's Conference - here 

Writer's Conferences: Are They All They Should Be? - here

The Do's and Don't's of Conference Etiquette - here

Networking and Promotion Through Writer's Conferences - here


What tips do you have?

~Susan

p.s. - I'll report back in a couple weeks and tell you how it went.



4 comments:

  1. Don't be nervous! I went to my first writer's conference a few years back, and it was soooo much fun. Everyone there was just like me - a beginning writer looking to move forward, and everyone was super, super friendly. Nothing like being in the middle of so many other people who have the same dream as you, and who are all looking to share tips and knowledge.

    I think my number one piece of advice is to be friendly and talk to as many other authors as possible. Make new friends, and connections for the future.

    Okay, got to go - my kitten is eating pieces of pizza crust off my plate (? Kittens are weird).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could go too! But I'm super excited for you. I've been to one conference, and I agree with Sabrina's advice.

    I also recommend pacing yourself on the publishing-type classes. I didn't know much about publishing, so I sat through several on the first day. By the time I left that night, I was in shock at the enormity of what I was attempting to accomplish. I cried all the way home. My advice--take a large helping of classes about the parts of writing that energize you. You'll still learn a ton. Have fun! And give any Proser you happen to meet a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Susan. Can't wait to meet you. :)

    I've been to LUTE a few years ago back when it was free. It was pretty awesome, and I bet now it is even better. My advice is to relax, learn, and have fun.

    Great Posts and awesome links. You always find the best links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to find time for a writer's conference for about 7 years now. Maybe in a few more, I'll be done having babies and I'll actually get to go to one. :)

    Give us a full run-down of how it goes. I'm sure you'll end up having a blast. Thanks for the great links!

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.