Monday, November 3, 2014

WIP blogging: The Avatar Legacy

It's NaNoWriMo time again! And since I'm traveling the other lovely Prosers agreed to do this month's theme post about our collective works in progress.

My NaNoWriMo story is about two sisters who are, essentially, space pirates. Miki and Lara Kim are just trying to get out of the solar system but Lara's obsessive ex-boyfriend has other ideas. It is my first attempt at a thriller type plot in which they somewhat accidentally steal the thing that is sure to derail their lives as well as the lives of everyone else, not just around them but around the human inhabited Universe.

The skeleton of the story was the first story that I started writing when I started writing again. It started out as one of them killing her boyfriend then calling the other to save her. Then it turned to him haunting her and into a whole other thing.

When I started, I was writing it in Finnish but it soon became clear to me that that was not going to happen with all the time I was spending reading in English. It also started out as a contemporary drama but quickly morphed into a supernatural horror story. It was at that point that I realized that I was so not going to be a mainstream author. Then the final transformation happened when I decided that adding "in space" to anything automatically makes it more awesome at any time. This is the version that I'm writing now. And it's also the first version of this story I'm planning to finish.

Here's the beginning:

The shuttle came out of the sky like a screaming hunk of space junk. Certainly the passengers inside were screaming despite having known what to expect. Miki Kim silently revelled in the fact that she could still make even the roughest, toughest pirate pee his pants. It was one thing to like something and quite another to be seen liking it. She suppressed the smirk creeping onto her lips just in case.
“All I’m saying is,” she continued her earlier argument as if nothing happened. “You can’t just walk in like that.”
The man in the rabbit mask balked, as expected.

“And why not? This is an awesome costume,” Cliff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.