Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Fall Reviews, 2013 Winter Book List and a Link


I recently read a blog post I wanted to discuss today. But I really wanted to do my seasonal book list too.  In an act of supreme indecisiveness, I'm doing both!

Here's the link to the blog post:


Are you careful about things like this as you write? I have one scene--where two of my characters meet. And dangit, that's the way they meet! I can't change it, just because I disapprove. But that doesn't mean I can put it in the book. I try to write books I wouldn't be embarassed to let my children read. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle that in revisions. Feel free to discuss...


Wow. I've read a lot in the past 4 months. Here are the highlights. To keep things simple, if I liked it, I wrote: "I liked it." If I loved it, I wrote, "I loved it." J If I didn't like it, I'll mention why.

1. The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling
Unfinished. It wasn't my cup of tea. No likable characters and terrible language is a bad combo for me. 

2. The Grand Tour: Or the Purloined Coronation Regalia 
by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer 
(The sequel to Sorcery and Cecelia) I liked it. It's the story of Kate, Thomas, Cecy and James's shared honeymoon, where they thwart a plot to take over Europe.

3. Legend by Marie Lu
Imagine Hunger Games as a mystery, with a (slightly) faster blooming romance. Yep. It was that good. I loved it.

4. Insurgent by Veronica Roth
I liked it better than Divergent, and I'll keep reading the series.

5. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Sarah finally convinced me to read this one, even though I don't like sad stories. Which is silly, because this isn't really a sad story, although you won't believe me until you've read it yourself.  Loved it.

6. Red Glove by Holly Black 
(sequel to White Cat)--I liked this one. In fact, Black Heart is the next book in my stack.

7. Kill Switch by Chris Lynch
I was extremely disappointed by this book. The characters were amoral and unlikable. I kept reading it because it had such an awesome premise, but it never came through.

8. The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson 
(sequel to Girl of Fire and Thorns!!!)--If you haven't read Girl of Fire and Thorns, drop everything and read it. If you've read it, you've got to read The Crown of Embers. I'm in love with these books!

9. The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus book 3) 
by Rick Riordan
I really liked this book. I'm not as crazy about The Heroes of Olympus as I was about the Percy Jackson series, but it's still a lot of fun.

10. Reached by Ally Condie
The final book in the Matched trilogy. It was my favorite book of the series. I liked it.

11. His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Being a connoisseur of all things Horatio Hornblower, when I heard about this book, I had to give it a try.  It was pretty brilliant, but nonetheless I'm not in a huge hurry to read the next one. Someday.

12. Scarlet! By A.C. Gaugen
I couldn't stand the way she used the word "were" whenever she meant "was" but other than that, I enjoyed this book--it's a Robin Hood story told as though Will Scarlett was actually a girl, and only Little John and Robin Hood know.

***13. The Hero's Guide To Saving Your Kingdom*** 
by Christopher Healy 
This might be my favorite book this year.  It's middle grade heaven. I loved it!

14. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart 
This was a reread. I liked it. If I had liked the ending more, I would have loved it. As it is, I'm saving my opinion until I know if there's a sequel or not.

15. Screwing Up Time by C.M. Keller. 
This is one of my favorite books I've found for my kindle so far. Right now, it's only 99 cents. AND the sequel (Screwing Up Bablylon) just came out. 

16. Blue Eyes and Other Teenage Hazards 
I read this book, and then my daughter read it, and she pointed out something I had missed--this story is set in the world of Logan and Samantha from All's Fair in Love, War and High School! Logan is one of my favorite characters EVER, and even though he doesn't show up in this book, Samantha does--I just didn't recognize her when seen from another character's eyes. As I've mentioned before, I LOVE Janette Rallison.  I liked this one.

17. Masquerade--
Sometimes LOVING books by Janette Rallison can be embarrassing when you're in your forties.  Hurray for Masquerade! It's all that trademark silly romance that I love so much, but the characters in Masquerade are all grown up.  I liked this one too.

My Winter 2013 Reading List
1. Black Heart by Holly Black (Book 3 in the Curse Workers series)  
2. Persuaded by Jenni James
4. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
5. Ruins by Orson Scott Card (Book 2 of Lost Gate series)
6. The Outcasts by John Flanagan (this has been on my list for a while.)
7. Screwing Up Babylon by. C.M. Keller (sequel to Screwing Up Time)
8. Prodigy by Marie Lu (sequel to Legend)
9. Princess of Glass  by Jessica Day George (sequel to Princess of the Midnight Ball)
10. An Abundance of Katherines  by John Green
11. Insignia by S.J. Kincaid


Would you like to add a book? Please do.
And don't forget to tell me your thoughts on Janette Rallison's post.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you are a prolific reader! And now I've got a whole new crop of books to try out :)

    From your to-read list, I absolutely loved/cried through Code Name Verity. Also loved Black Heart and Princess of Glass (to me, Jessica Day George and Shannon Hale seem to be kindred spirits in the way they write).

    I've never read Janette Rallison. What book would you suggest as a first read? And for an Austen-ish romance, have you tried Edenbrooke yet? I think I mentioned it earlier this summer.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a little more than usual this time around because I travelled across the country by myself. Also, most of those books are pretty easy reads.

    As for Janette Rallison books, there are so many different varieties--I really liked All's Fair In Love and High School. Just One Wish is a (little) less fluffy than the others, but still funny. My Fair Godmother is hilarious, (though it does have a really slow spot midway through). You'll have to let me know what you think. :)

    I remember you mentioning Edenbrooke--I don't know why it never got added to my list. Adding it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All's Fair in Love, WAR and High School. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, I'll have to add some of those to my never ending TBR pile. I'm currently reading Legend right now. I'm really enjoying it. I agree with Susan, you certainly are a prolific reader especially over the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already requested a bunch of those from the library. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.