Friday, August 16, 2013

Some Grumbling About Chaos Theory And More Advice About How To Get It All Done

Fractal Phantasmagoria 002
First things first: P.S. I just started a facebook page for this new book. There isn't much on it yet, but if you want to watch it grow from the ground up, this is your chance!

For some reason, I had it in my head that Sheena, Sabrina and I were supposed to be finished with editing by this Wednesday, though it turns out our actual deadline isn't until Sunday. In one way, that has turned out marvelously. I got my edits done by Wednesday. But Sheena and Sabrina are still going strong, which means I didn't really finish editing on Wednesday.

Having three people edit a novel simultaneously from three different spots across the country (literally) is no easy task. We are each editing our own sections, but each section is tied to all the others, so sometimes it feels like our characters can't even take an extra breath without causing a tidal wave throughout the rest of the story. We have to check endlessly that what we are writing isn't going to affect anybody else. It usually does. (We are an experiment in Chaos Theory.)

I'm soooooooooo ready to be done with it. My children have unlocked levels of Mario Super Brothers that they never dreamed they'd see, and you don't even want to know how dirty my kitchen floor was before I finally cleaned it on Wednesday. Editing is beginning to feel like the movie Groundhog Day. I think I'm done, but the next day it starts over. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

On the other hand, I feel honored to be writing with these amazing women. This is the hard part, where we could be seeing each other at our worst, but it isn't like that at all. We're still managing to joke and to find nice things to say to each other. Plus they are insanely talented. I am very blessed.

My point, if I have one, is that I could have used Susan's Pomodoro post a few weeks ago. I'd never heard of that method, and simple as it is, I can't wait to try it, and to teach it to my children, who really need to learn not to stop doing homework every time a text or instant message comes through.

This post about Joss Whedon and his advice on how to be prolific has come in handy for me the past few days. Joss Whedon seems able to think outside the box in a way that few successful people in the entertainment industry are able to do.  As a bonus you can watch the trailer for Much Ado About Nothing, which is in select theaters, none of which are in Maine.

Here's another timely article from the same site: How To Be Successful At Everything

Which led me to this one about note taking and success. I'm usually a failure at taking notes, but Sheena, Sabrina and I have had to take meticulous notes about what we are doing, or it would have ended badly. Crossing my fingers that this particular habit will last past Sunday.



4 comments:

  1. Yay for being done (or almost done) with edits!
    I loved the links, especially the Josh Whedon article - I really want to see that movie now.
    Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, but it looks like it might be awhile for me. Good luck finding a theater playing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw that the blue-ray comes out Oct. 8.
      We actually have it playing in our area, but realistically, I won't have time to actually make it to the theater.
      October's not that far away. *sigh*

      Delete
  3. I know you guy are having a great time with this collaboration, but the process sounds complicated. Good luck to all of you. Can't wait for the release date.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.