Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pride and Production

Well, so far tonight I've started and discarded posts on the new school year and how learning is where you find it. And about money management (because my absolute favorite budgeting tool, aptly named, You Need A Budget, is on sale if you have a Steam account). I also thought about writing about Netflix - uh, only reruns for me right now until I can figure out a way to access Falling Skies. Or what I'm reading - all rereads currently.

And I finally settled on asking all of you a question.

When you think of all the things you've written, what are you most proud of?

I'm kind of in a place in my life where I desperately need to write, and yet there are a lot of things that, even if I find the time to write, run around all distracted-like in my brain. So, I started trying to think back to those times when there was that awesome spark and writing was good.

It's funny that the things that first came to mind aren't the best things I've ever done.
Or the most important things, like finishing my thesis - which was a relief, but I'm not sure I was particularly proud of it.
Or even the most recent.

In the end, I think it was a story I wrote when I was 10. How funny is that? But I can still remember the absolute magic of it. That feeling of a world opening up in front of me that I never knew existed before. I don't know where that story went to, but I'd like to think that if I read it now, it would still be perfect.

So, what are you most proud of?

~Susan

3 comments:

  1. I love YNAB! But I was never able to get my husband on board and I had to finally give up the fight for the sake of my sanity :(

    I've been thinking about how to answer your question since last night. It's hard for me to hang on to that feeling of pride before it gives way to self-doubt. But when I wrote the first, messy, unreadable draft of a novel, I had a kind of fun and passion and drive I'd never experienced with anything else before, and the memory of that feeling keeps me going even when I'm low on fun and passion. I came to writing fiction very late - I had never felt good at it as a young person and dreaded all creative writing assignments - and I'm probably most proud of letting myself do something I didn't expect to be great at just because it was fun. I wish I'd learned it was okay to strive for things you aren't a "natural" at a lot earlier in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Sarah said. That first novel--the one that almost made it to the publisher but didn't quite. I don't know that any other novel will ever be quite as full of wonder and joy as that one was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am proud of the first book I ever finished. It's not publishable, but I'm impressed that my 14-year-old self managed to write as well as I did, and there is always some satisfaction in finishing something. But I hope I'll always be most proud of my latest project. At least right now, I feel like I'm always improving a little.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.