Friday, August 30, 2013

Melanie's To Be Read Pile--Fall 2013

Last week I wrote about books I've recently finished reading. I always feel a little more comfortable doing that, because when I talk about books I haven't read yet, there is always that off-chance that I'll accidentally recommend something I really wish I hadn't. But there is something so compelling about my TBR pile, something almost magical, and I love sharing it with you.

What I'm currently reading:

I read about this book on goodreads, and then promptly forgot the title. I couldn't get the premise out of my head, and so I kept trying to google it. It was about a witch. In New York, I thought. And it wasn't YA, which is odd for me, so the author wasn't familiar.

The Witch of New York? Nope.

It seemed like it had the word little in the title, or some synonym of it.

The Little Witch of New York?
The Witch of Little New York??

Dang. Why was I even thinking New York? Wasn't it Italy? Ack. It was hopeless. Fifty years in the future I was going to be on my deathbed, regretting that I hadn't written this stupid title down.

The Little Witch of Italy?
And finally, in one glorious burst of light, I remembered.



From goodreads: In Suzanne Palmieri’s charming debut, The Witch of Little Italy, you will be bewitched by the Amore women. When young Eleanor Amore finds herself pregnant, she returns home to her estranged family in the Bronx, called by “The Sight” they share now growing strong within her. She has only been back once before when she was ten years old during a wonder-filled summer of sun-drenched beaches, laughter and cartwheels. But everyone remembers that summer except her. Eleanor can’t remember anything from before she left the house on her last day there. With her past now coming back to her in flashes, she becomes obsessed with recapturing those memories. Aided by her childhood sweetheart, she learns the secrets still haunting her magical family, secrets buried so deep they no longer know how they began. And, in the process, unlocks a mystery over fifty years old—The Day the Amores Died—and reveals, once and for all, a truth that will either heal or shatter the Amore clan.
 
I'm absolutely enjoying this book so far. It's a sweet, sweet story. I'm not too far into it yet, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

I went to the library yesterday, and to my surprise, most of my TBR books were waiting for me there. I've either got a lot of reading to do in the next month or a lot of sorting out to do. 

Next on my list--as recommended by Sabrina:

How To Lead A Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller.



From goodreads:  A meth dealer. A prostitute. A serial killer. 
Anywhere else, they’d be vermin. At the Mandel Academy, they’re called prodigies. The most exclusive school in New York City has been training young criminals for over a century. Only the most ruthless students are allowed to graduate. The rest disappear. 
Flick, a teenage pickpocket, has risen to the top of his class. But then Mandel recruits a fierce new competitor who also happens to be Flick’s old flame. They’ve been told only one of them will make it out of the Mandel Academy. Will they find a way to save each other—or will the school destroy them both?

I'd seen this book before Sabrina recommended it, but was utterly turned off by the description. Why would I want to read a book that seemed to be glorifying meth dealers, prostitutes and serial killers? But after Sabrina's review, I picked it up again, and this time I read the back cover.

It says:
"Joi's clearly been brought here to die. I thought I could take whatever Mandel threw at me. I'd endure the beatings and battle his Wolves. I'd make him believe that I was his masterpiece. Then I'd graduate and destroy the academy. I thought this time, I was willing to do anything. Now Mandel will know that it's all just an act. Because there's one thing that I will not do. Not even to save the world from a monster. I won't let Joi die."

Now THAT is a premise I can wrap my brain around. I'm very excited to give this one a try. Several of the goodreads reviewers warn that this is a very gory book, and definitely not for young YA readers.

Next in my pile:


Vortex by S.J. Kinkaid.

I won't say much about this one, because it was on my list last time too, and I'm only finally getting to it. It's the sequel to Insignia, which I loved. It is YA science fiction--think Orson Scott Card but snarkier.


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein


Yep. I still haven't read it. It's been on my list for at least a year. It's different this time though, because I actually have the book in my hot little hands. I'm a little scared to read it, because everyone says it will make me cry. I hate that in a book, but people tell me it is worth it. 


So here's a couple that aren't actually in my pile, but which will be soon.

The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson


Who knew it just came out a few days ago? Not me. Good thing I checked, because I hadn't heard anything about it. I'll probably be buying this one. It's the last book in the Fire and Thorns Trilogy which I love with every piece of my heart.



I nearly forgot to mention that a few weeks ago I entered a goodreads contest and won an ARC for Slayers: Friends and Traitors by C.J. Hill. It's the second book in the Slayers series. It was so exciting to get an unexpected book in the mail, and I love C.J. Hill/Janette Rallison. Yay  for me! It comes out on October 15, so if you hurry, you have just enough time to read the first one.


Are there any great possibilities in your TBR pile? 






6 comments:

  1. Ooh, snarky sci-fi? Count me in! I'll look for Insignia!

    Can't wait to hear what you think of How to Live a Life of Crime, but especially Code Name Verity. I'll mention that it starts a little slow, but stick with it. You won't be sorry, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My newest TBR is Ashes, which I just picked up at the library and I am hoping against hope it brings me out of my book slump. I've been slogging through a book for over a month that just isn't quite bad enough to give up on, after two or three books that WERE bad enough to give up on. So I am really loving all the book recommendations from The Prosers! Lots on my Amazon/library wishlist now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh but I just snagged the last remaining copy of WONDER at the library and now *that's* jumped to the top of my TBR pile and so far it is un-put-downable. So many books. Aaaahhh!!!

      Delete
    2. And now I'm back to say WONDER was a 1-night read and I really think you'd love it, Melanie. :)

      Delete
    3. Now I'm curious too - who is Wonder by?

      Delete
    4. R.J. Palacio. It's a quiet story about a boy with severe facial anomalies going through 5th grade, his first year in a regular school. Wonder is a very touching book but not depressing, I promise :)

      Delete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.