Saturday, March 2, 2013

Random Pieces of Awesome

This morning, I'm posting on Trisha's behalf. Sabrina's Awesome List has inspired me to come up with a list of my own. My Awesome List is much more random than Sabrina's. Rather than being a list of All-time Awesomeness, it's more a list of Awesome Things My Kids and I Thought About Last Night.

It all begins with Imagine Dragons and It's Time. This probably won't stay on my Awesome List forever, but I certainly love it right now.



Last year, a friend of mine told me about The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great by Pam Anderson. It's not a diet so much as a way of creating routines and rituals surrounding food that are fulfilling enough that you don't have to keep searching for that elusive contentment in the cookie jar. If you have food issues like me--this is a life changing book:


Horatio Hornblower was a TV show produced by A&E. Have you seen it yet? If you love swashbucklers, this is one for you. It's also a great book series, but I think you'll enjoy the books more if you watch the series first:



Ender's Game/Speaker for the Dead. With the exception of scriptures, no book has had a bigger impact on my life than these two books.


I agree with Sabrina's assessment of The Princess Bride and Howl's Moving Castle. They are made of awesome. I can't think of The Princess Bride without thinking of Ghostbusters, since they are the only two movies I've ever memorized.



Sometimes, my younger kids and I gather around the computer and take turns picking youtube videos. We have to suffer through the ubiquitous I'm Elmo and I Know It and then we get to the good stuff. When someone finally picks our favorite puppy video, even the teenagers wander into the room:




Psych. It is rare that a TV show makes me laugh this hard. It is even rarer to find a TV show that I like this much and feel comfortable watching with my family.


Clearplay. This is a special DVD player that will filter inappropriate things out of TV shows and movies. You get to decide what counts as inappropriate, and at what level. I can even share my favorite TV show ever with my kids without feeling embarassed. Which brings me back to when we pick youtube videos. I almost always pick this one. The most Awesome Action Scene ever.




17 comments:

  1. Imagine Dragons is pretty much on constant repeat in my iPod! I fell in love with Its Time and then got the EP (and then of course the album) but my favorite, since I walk at night, is listening to Radioactive and imagining I'm a badass sci-fi heroine walking slo-mo away from an explosion that killed the bad guys. Yeppers, you'll find me doing that every single night I make it out to exercise. But I don't actually walk slow-motion because that would be WEIRD.

    I finally read Ender's Game this year so I will now get references to that one :)

    You can't ever go wrong with Ghostbusters. And with that, I am off to check out that diet book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my kids are sleeping in this morning, and I'm sitting in my bed with no access to headphones and trying to talk myself out of looking up Radioactive immediately! I'm totally going to imagine I'm walking away from an explosion while I'm listening to it. Sarah, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, and listen to Demons too! That pretty much the "theme" song for at least two WIPs - I do most of my best walk-plotting to it. (Close 2nd but can't replace Brandon Flowers' "Crossfire" for the novel. MaryAnn should get that even without hearing the song. ;) )

      Delete
    2. Holy moly. Have you seen that music video? I'm in love with anyone who can make such a silly music video out of such an awesome song.

      Delete
    3. Oh my gosh. No I certainly hadn't. Hysterical!

      Delete
    4. @Sarah, yes I did get the reference even though I've never heard the song. :)

      But after I listened to Demons, I can't believe how perfectly it fits your story. Must be fun to have a theme song. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, never heard that song before. Thanks for the introduction. I'm with you on Ghostbusters and Princess Bride. Also Howls Moving Castle - watched that for the first time over a decade ago and loved it. Will have to watch it again, I think it's due. I can't bear to add another show to my PVR, but if I did it would be Psych - You're not the first person I've heard say it's awesome.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun list, Melanie. I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen/read very much on it. I guess I have some more stuff to check out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I totally forgot about Ghostbusters. "Next time someone asks you if you're a God, Ray, SAY YES!" I actually skipped music on purpose, because it would have doubled the size of my list. I also sort of think that music is more subject to personal tastes than books or movies, since it seems to speak so directly to emotions.

    I guess I need to give Psych and Chuck a try. They'll go on my list, though I never finished Downton Abbey or Merlin, and my friend just got me hooked on Supernatural.

    Yay awesome lists of all stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to make my list different from yours, because my MOST awesome things are not always floating at the top of my head where I can grab them. Instead, I made a "Most Awesome Things I Can Think of Right Now," and there are a zillion other things I keep thinking I should put on it. I put in my best effort to become a Supernatural fan, but horror kind of horrifies me...

      Delete
  6. I love your list. Pulled my 13yo son over and made him watch snuggle puppies - twice - just to see that goofy 'I'm trying to act all grown up, but inside I'm really still a kid' smile on his face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your list, and thanks again for taking this week's post off my hands. We got moved into the new house, although I don't think I'll be done unpacking for weeks. (Maybe months, depending on how badly I want to get the boxes in the garage situated.)

    Imagine Dragons always makes such great videos, don't they? They're definitely in my favorites list. Fun has a video for their song Some Nights that is close top of my list. The song is okay, but I think it's the video that makes that song stick out in my head. Maybe that's one of the fantastic things about music: you can tell a story with the lyrics, evoke emotions with notes, and create imagery with video. I'm with Sabrina, I couldn't make a list and include music, or it'd take hours to read.

    Great post as usual Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the new house, Trisha! I didn't realize Imagine Dragons was so popular right now. I just barely discovered them. I love the music video for Some Nights too. Except I like to KNOW what it happening in the videos. Both It's Time and Some Nights leave me frustrated because I'm not certain I really get it. You know what I mean?

      Delete
    2. I think Some Nights the video is a little different than Some Nights the song. I think the song is mostly the singer musing about who he is now that he's so far from home. The video attempts to follow two fictional soldiers from the Civil war, one from each side, and the consequences of their actions. I suppose the story somewhat follows the lyrics, since both soldiers leave things back home that they love, I guess it's probably supposed to represent that confusion, fear, and even loss at being away from home? I'm going out on a limb there. It's not 100% clear to me, either.

      Delete
    3. Oh! That was TWO soldiers? Wow. It already makes SO much more sense. (feeling sheepish now.) I'm going to have to watch it again.

      I've always thought the song sounded like he was talking about the war in the middle east. But I like the idea of thinking about it as musings about life.

      Delete
  8. Hello Melanie Crouse,

    I would like to comments on the clearplay. Your service is superb. Thanks to all of the folks that make the filters, your engineers, and the engineers at the DVD manufacturers that make this happen! It’s so refreshing to be able to sit and watch a movie without the finger on the fast forward button of the remote. You may check out this type of new product enJoy Movies Your Way.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.