Saturday, March 30, 2013

Rise of the Guardians

Happy Easter!

Today's post is going to be short and sweet, since I still have a mountain of candy to cram into tiny plastic eggs, not to mention baskets to put together.  (Why do I always wait until the last minute?)

Have any of you seen the movie Rise of the Guardians yet?  My kids are in love with it, and this week alone I've probably seen it half a dozen times.  My son is six, and he's at that age where his friends are beginning to say they don't believe in Santa, or the Easter Bunny, but he's holding on for as long as possible.  I was scared that this might be the last year for him, but thanks to Guardians, I think we've got another year or two ahead of us.  He's totally convinced that a giant rabbit with an Australian accent is going to come hopping through the house tonight and hide eggs, while Sandman gives him sweet dreams.  He made me promise to lock the dog up as he partially quoted the movie with, "Do you know what dogs do to bunnies?"  I've even heard him quietly whispering to Jack Frost that he'd be okay with a snow day or two.  You can bet I'm jumping on Amazon next week to order William Joyce's The Guardians of Childhood, the series that inspired the movie.  Any story that can keep the magic alive in my six year old's heart is top notch in my eyes.

That's the kind of story telling that makes me love writing.  There's something special about reaching out to an audience and giving them something magical, something that will hopefully stay with them for a long time. We all have books and movies that made an impression on us throughout our lives, and as writers, that's the best we can hope to achieve.  There are faster ways to get rich.  There are better ways to find acceptance or even fame.  For all but a few, writing can't offer you those things.  But it can give you the chance to touch someone else's life in a unique and very personal way, and maybe make a difference to them in the long term.  

Time to keep one little boy's faith alive by hiding a few eggs.  Have a great Easter everybody!

P.S.: Don't forget to check in each day (except Sundays) during the month of April for the A-Z blog challenge.  Sheena kicks things off for us on Monday with the letter A.  I've had a preview of what the other Prosers are writing about, and I can tell you there's a lot of great stuff coming next month!  I'll be checking in with as many blogs as I can, so good luck to all those participating.  Can't wait to see what everyone else is doing!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie, but now I have too. I love stories that keep that magic alive. I hate to see that wonder die in my kids. I think the reason I like to write is partly because that magic never completely left me.

    Excellent post! I hope you and your family had a Happy Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it either. I wanted to go see it with the movie tickets we got in our stockings at Christmas, but it was already out of the theater. Then I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We meant to see it in theaters, too, and just got too busy. Luckily someone gave us a copy as a gift or I might have forgotten, too. I'm pretty sure you can find it at Redbox.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.