Friday, June 15, 2012

My Summer Reading Lists

Table of Contents for this post:
Top 5 Books On My Summer Reading List
5 Books I've Already Read That I Recommend
5 Books I Intend To Read With My Kids This Summer
Grown-up Books I Might Read Soon

Top 5...no, 6...no, 7 Books on my Summer Reading List
These first seven are books people have recommended to me. I haven't read them yet, but I thought they looked good. (The links take you to the book's goodreads page.)


I don't know much about The Agency, but Karen, whose reading interests are very similar to my own, recommended it, so I'm giving it a shot. Karen recommended Legend too.






This is book 3. Book 1 is called The Thief. You can see a love post by Susan here. I don't know if I'm ready to squee! yet, but I am completely enamored with Gen.



This is book 2. Book 1 is called Divergent. I liked it enough to read Insurgent, but it wasn't one of my favorites. However, I know lots of people who thought it was amazing.



Sarah recommended this one. I've been eyeing it cautiously for a while, half hoping I would forget about it, but I haven't. In fact, I might work up the courage to read it. 



I found Shadow and Bone while perusing goodreads. It just came out, but it's a popular title.



I thought Shadow and Bone and Daughter of Smoke and Bone were the same book for a little while. In my defense, they sound a lot alike, don't they? 

5 Books I Recommend--(Not necessarily my top 5, just the 5 I thought of first. J)


I listened to Leviathan on audio. It's well done, but then you miss the pictures, which are pretty cool.



(Book 2: The Crown of Embers comes out on September 18!) Love, love, love this book!.



This one I recommend with caution. It's disturbing--about the aftermath of an abusive relationship. It contains strong language and very upsetting situations, but it's a powerful story of hope.



Tuesdays At The Castle by: Jessica Day George
I read this book with my kids, and we all sneaked and read ahead. I love Jessica Day George



Vodnik was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to share it with my teenage son.

6 Books I Intend To Read With My Kids This Summer:


We listen to Bloomability on audiobook every summer and it never gets old. LOVE this story, especially on audio. The reader jumps from Japanese to Italian to Brazilian accents with an ease that astounds me. 
***Edited to add: We just started listening to it this morning. We moved a few months back, so we checked the audio tape out from a different library. Apparently there are 2 different versions of this on audio--I'm sure the one I love is the older version. This newer one is fine though. She is just not the one I've been gushing about.








I read this book on my own, and then with a couple of classes when I was a teacher, and then with my older two kids. I'm pretty darn sick of it, actually, but it is worth it to read it again just to see the delight on kid's faces when they get the grammar jokes.













Grown-up Books I Might Read Soon: (There probably ought to be more of these...)






And I know, I know...The Book Thief doesn't really count as a grown-up book. But I thought it did until just now. Drat.








What do you recommend? And what's on your summer reading list?

9 comments:

  1. Oh! Definitely read the Fault in Our Stars! That book and The Scorpio Races (can you tell I'm a YA reader?) were my FAVES this year. Well, those and Pride and Prejudice, again, but when is that not a fave?? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter loves Maggie S...(I'm not even going to try :) but I haven't read anything by her. The Scorpio Races sound pretty interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. That is one really great list of books! I added so many to my to-read Goodreads list from this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lists. I've got Legend on my summer reading list too. Other than that I haven't read or even heard of most of the books on the list. Yeah, more fun books to read. :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lesle and MaryAnn, I hope you enjoy them! I had a good time compiling them.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm so glad you're reading King of Attolia. It is by far my favorite.

    I just finished Bitterblue, sequel to Graceling, by Kristen Cashore, and cried more than any person has a right to over a book. Very powerful, beautifully written.

    Thanks so much for this list. there are several I've been eying, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I just finished The Queen of Attolia, and I'm hooked! Thanks for convincing me to press onward. Gen is the most interesting character I've read for a very long time.

      If my list hadn't been too long already, Bitterblue would probably have been the next book I put on. I think I have to reread Graceling first though. It's been such a long time.

      Delete
  5. I've queued up several of these on my Kindle. I can't wait to dig in. Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read a single one of those books. My husband will not thank you, Melanie for this list, so I will. Thanks Melanie, for feeding the addiction.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.