Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Midwest is Humid! Who Knew?

Remember last week when I was complaining about the weather in Colorado?  Well this week I am complaining about the humidity in the Midwest.  I stopped for gas in Missouri and thought I was drowning.  The people who live in this area must be semi-aquatic.  I miss my mountains and my altitude.  Most of all, I miss air so dry your shower evaporates before it hits your skin.  That being said, I'm having a blast.

About a month ago I wrote a post about my grandma Austin's house, and how it was my inspiration when  I first started writing.  I was surprised to find it still inspires me, years later, in a whole new way.  I think it has something to do with being a parent, rather than a child.  My values have shifted, my perceptions changed, and that has made a huge impact on what I write and how I write it.  I look at this place and I want it to be the same source of wonder for my kids as it was for me.  I look at my books and I want to preserve the adventure for them, when they're old enough, in a way they'll appreciate.  I guess what I'm trying to say is I write for them now, while before I wrote for me.  It's a humbling realization.

Anyway, I'm on vacation so I'm getting back to it.  I'll leave you with some pictures of my first muse, and my current muse.

First Muse

Across the lake where I played as a kid (and mysteriously avoided both poison ivy and fire ants)

The dock where I've spent the last two days trying to catch a bass

The bridge that crosses the lake

Current Muse(s)
My son having a creative brainstorm

My daughter with wildflowers she picked herself

My husband and son scoping out the fish

My daughter and my grandma

PS:  Happy Father's Day everyone.  Especially to my husband who makes more sacrifices for his family than anyone I know, and my own dad, who continues to patiently teach me new things.  Thanks for helping me change my spark plugs and breaks, Dad.  I think I could swap out break pads and shoes with my eyes closed now.

4 comments:

  1. That's the kind of place that would wake up my muse too. And those are gorgeous kids. Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what wonderful views, and a fabulous family, too. It's so fun you get to make this trip - how many amazing memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are adorable. I have the same problem with humidity. I'm sure if I lived there long enough I'd get used to it, but with only short visits, I find the humidity suffocating.

    Thanks for keeping us posted on your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.