Thursday, March 15, 2012

Upcoming publication


Life has seemed very slow lately, and very scattered. Too much attempted multitasking on my part, perhaps, without really getting anything done. There've been some very good spots though, like Lawyer Friend and I going on an epic journey to try to get Mexican food. Which really should not be hard in San Diego, but the first two restaurants we tried were closed. Finally, we went to Old Town and had excellent food. Plus there was free tequila sampling, so all's well that ends well.

Even better, this week I got the PDF proofs for my horror short story "Failed Sacrifice." The story will be appearing in Kayelle Press' upcoming anthology Night Terrors.


Here's the blurb:

What would you do if you received a phone call from a dead person? Or if aliens and zombies were killing everyone you loved? Or if your best friend offered you as a sacrifice? Or if you discovered a family secret that you’d prefer not to know? Do you know what’s waiting for you in the attic? Or at the cemetery? How would you react to the pressure of being pushed over the limit because you desperately wanted to fit in? How would you feel being locked in the dark with a hungry creature outside wanting … you? And can the children and the ancient ones really be trusted?

From classic horror to modern day fears, Night Terrors will have you checking the wardrobe and looking under the bed before you attempt to go to sleep at night.
  
That third line about the sacrifice is my story! This'll be my very first publication in an anthology.  The anthology will be available in paper and ebook format.


And here's an excerpt from the middle of the story:
 
"A flat face with a slit for a mouth emerged from the darkness. Opaque eyes a shade darker than its skin regarded her. "You belong to me," it said. "But as you are, I cannot keep you."
     If you cannot keep me, set me free, she shouted at it with all the mental strength she possessed. Let me go, please. I do not want this.
    The creature's lips slid open in a mockery of a smile, revealing rows upon rows of needlelike teeth, tinged a pale orange in the dim glow."

I actually wrote the story for a different anthology, one about the sea. But I didn't finish the story in time (which I'm sure will surprise no one here).  The evil demon/god in the story is based on an angler fish, because if there's anything that wants to eat your soul, it probably looks something like this:




The anthology should be out March 31.


Also, in searching for an angler fish photo, I found my new favorite creature artwork ever here
Can't stop giggling at it! I really want a print to put in my office.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats Sabrina!!! That is so awesome. I'll have to pick it up when it comes out.

    Yeah, that angler fish does look like a soul eater. Really creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sabrina! In spite of being very freaked out by anything in the horror genre, I can't wait to read it! And the angler fish--no kidding. He definitely wants to eat my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! That's really fabulous. And I love the creature artwork at the link - too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a real fish...(I know an angler is a real fish) but is that a picture of a real fish, or did someone make that? Way super creepy.

    Congrats on the publication. The story sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys. :D

    Sheena - I'm not entirely certain. Here's what I believe to be the picture's source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allan_bruce/398032677/. It's apparently from an exhibit, and not a living fish, but I believe it was once living.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Sabrina! I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no clue how I (a) happened to navigate to this post when typing in the blog address, or (b) missed it back in MARCH. But regardless, I obviously don't need to wait to read it so off I go! :D

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.