Monday, March 12, 2012

Mean Memes

I've been tagged by one of those Meme's that are currently being passed around the Prosers like Strep A.

 Here are the rules...

1. Post the rules. (done)
2. Tag up to eleven bloggers by posting links to their blogs, and let them know.
3. Create eleven questions for the people you’ve tagged. 
4. Answer the questions your tagger posed for you. 
5. Have fun!

The last rule seems a bit arbitrary to me.  I'm kind of a rebel (But I'm a rebel without an idea for a blog post), so I'm not going to tag anyone, and I'm not going to make up any questions, because... Technically, I'm supposed to be winnowing right now.  I will, however, answer Melanie's questions, because if I don't, it will be like not giving her a high-five back, and that's just awkwardness.

Answers to Melanie's questions...

1. You are sick as a dog, you poor baby. You're flat on the couch for the day. What do you watch on TV?

First thing, I turn the TV onto HGTV, and press pause on my DVR, and then switch on my Roku and watch the netflix. Here are the shows I'm currently stalking.

Downton Abby.
Technically there are eleven Doctors...
So if I tag the Doctor, I'm done.
( take that meme)
Here are my questions, Doctor(s)...
Why are you so good looking?
Are bow ties cool?
Are you my mummy?
Why don't you ever regenerate as a girl?
Are you taking applications for companions?
Do you have Rory's phone number?
So a zombie, a werewolf, and a vampire...
Doctor Who
How I Met your Mother
Arrested Development
The Office

 and if I'm really sick, 

Toddlers and Tiaras 

or

 Say Yes to the Dress.

Then after about two hours of netflix binging, I'll turn back to HGTV and watch whatever's on minus commercials

I hate commercials. Unless they are awesome.

2. What's the last book you couldn't put down? 

I'm hiding from my county library because of a certain missing board book, so I've been reading mostly self published books lately. I recently read The-Plagiarist by Hugh Howley, and it was awesome and free

But since it's a novella, it might not count.





 Before that, I read Pride's Run

 by Cat Kalen. Interesting book. It's about this girl Pride who's a werewolf. In the book, werewolves are hunted by the government, or kept captive by drug dealers and used as slave assassins. Pride has to escape before her master forces her to breed with this guy she hates, ( but secretly isn't so bad) and she meets this runaway werewolf named Logan and they help each other to safety. What I thought was neat is that Pride isn't a human with werewolf costume on, she's not human, and she doesn't process things in a normal human kind of way. I thought it was really well done. Here's the link to the book on amazon.com.





3.  What's your favorite comic strip?



4. What is one of your favorite quotes?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

 Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx


5. A vampire, a werewolf, and a zombie walk in to the bar. After you kill the zombie, which one do you flirt with to further your romantic subplot?

Zombie Heartbreak
Best Seller?
First of all, Zombie's don't often stay dead. There's something about their persistence that I find strangely attractive. Plus, werewolves and vampires have been done to pieces ( sometimes well done, like Pride's Run) I don't like writing things that have been done before. Zombies are one of the few mythological characters that are an untapped romance interest gold mine, so... I'd pick the zombie. 

After all...

 All we want to do is eat your brains, that's not unreasonable, I mean no one's going to eat your eyes. All we want to do is eat your brains. We're at an impasse here, I think we'll have to compromise...If you open up the door...we'll all come inside...and eat your brains.
~Jonathon C... poet/rock star/code monkey


:) Sorry, my nerd slip is showing.


6. What is your favorite style or genre of literature? 

Yes, please.

 I'm not picky. I love historical/ futuristic/ speculative/ literary/ romance/ steam punk/ Classics/ YA/ MG/ normal/ weird. If it's in English...I'll read it.

7. You've been working on the same list of questions for an hour now, and they aren't getting any more interesting. You've got to get away from this document before you scream. What do you do?

I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and then type the first words that come to my mind. Sometimes strange things happen... like...

Hiccup was a walrus with a toothache. Jorge was a plant that badly needed watering. Both broke the rules of the Gym by entering without provocation. It was hurricane season, so the staff overlooked the mistaken entrance, and brought Jorge a watering can and placed it a foot in front of him.

Weird huh? 
But sometimes I'll do it and this will come out.

I'm not supposed to say anything about what happened.

And then a whole novel will follow that sentence.

8. When did you start writing, and why? 

I started my first novel when I was in 6th grade. I didn't finish it. I wrote songs, and poetry all throughout Junior High, and in High School, I wrote monologues.

I don't remember a time when I didn't write.

When I became a mom, and found out the awesomeness of the thing called nap time, I started writing for keeps.

 I write because I have to. It's part of who I am. Sometimes I find I have a hard time figuring out my own opinion and feelings.  When I write, I take my thoughts and experiences, and lay them out one by one like individual ingredients, so I can make sense out of my life. Also it's fun, and a good place to let out my creativity. 

I think my creativity is like a monster. I've destroyed things. Dressers, brooms, canvases, plants, scrapbook pages, children's haircuts...all dead because I wondered, "what would happen if I ..."

I can let out my creativity in a word document, and there is no permanent damage.


9. What is the next book in your "To Be Read" pile?

Well, the next thing on my list is a pile of stories in a winnowing queue. Book wise, I have several books on my Kindle that I'll probably read, but if I find that missing library book, I want to read Maze Runner by James Dashner, the latest Wheel of Time by Brandon Sanderson, and Goliath by Scott Westerfield.

10. If you start a book and don't care for it, how much of a chance do you give it before you toss it aside?

The bad guys will survive,
but you, Pearhead, are going down.
Depends... If I find a book I don't like because of too grown up content, then I usually toss it aside quickly, but if a don't like a book because the characters bug me, or the writing style is lame or boring, I usually keep reading until the end, just so I can make a firm opinion on the book.  Books are my friends. I like to give them a chance to impress me.


11. How many characters have you killed
 over the course of your career?

Good question. Probably 12-15. Probably not enough though. It's the characters who get away with being evil that haunt me. I don't usually kill bad guys, I usually only kill characters that I like. And then I weep over them, and my children worry.




So that's me. Rebel. Writer. Doctor Who fan.
~Sheena

2 comments:

  1. It's fun getting to know you, Sheena. Especially since now that I know you don't like books with too-grown-up content, I also know that should we ever meet, I won't be showing you the contents of my Kindle :) (Curse the Kindle! I'm sure I would have been too embarrassed to read all that J.R. Ward in hard copy...)

    Fun answers! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very ironic that the first question I asked you was about someone who was lying on the couch, sick as a dog, watching netflix, because that's my life story for the past 2 days. Sigh.

    Thanks for answering the questions Sheena!

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.