Friday, June 20, 2014

A few awesome links...

I don't know about you, but whenever I sit down at the computer to educate myself on marketing strategies for self-published authors, I end up just watching cat videos. And I don't even particularly LIKE cat videos. (Except this one...I LOVE this one.)






But this is important, people! We could be the best writers since Shakespeare and no one will ever find out if we suck at marketing. So my plan for this week was to carefully research great marketing strategies to share with you. 

But... as previously stated, my attention span for marketing articles is pretty short, but I did make it through this one about indie published books into bookstores. I REALLY want to give this a try. Read it. See what you think.

*** 

Much more interesting to me is this article a friend sent to me about the uproar over adults reading YA books. Its premise is that adults in the 20s and 30s were raised to believe they could conquer the world and then the world kicked them in the teeth. The economy tanked, finding even a crappy job is difficult and they've been kind of forced into this land of perpetual childhood. Of course (says the writer) they identify more with YA themes of finding themselves. 

I'm interested to know if you agree. It doesn't really fit MY life. Why do I read YA when I'm over 40?  I'm definitely not in a state of perpetual childhood. Sabrina says to love what you love and don't feel guilty about it, and she's absolutely right, and I don't feel guilty about it. What I feel is curious. Why do most adult books leave me cold? 

For example, someone said, "Hey adults! If you loved Harry Potter, you should try The Magicians." So I did. And it was awful, and dark, and pretentious, and I stopped midway through when I realized it really wasn't going to get better.  

If you are a lover of YA books, have you read any great books for adults lately? 


2 comments:

  1. I love YA, but I also like "adult" books, especially thrillers, mysteries, and upmarket women's fiction--book club books. Non-YA that I've read recently Murder at the Vicarage, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Suspect, The Swan Thieves, and The Lace Reader. For me, it's all about the writing. If it's well-written, I'll likely enjoy it, even if it's sci fi or spec fic. About the only genre I can't get into in romance. I've tried, but I just don't connect to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I am reading a wonderful book for adults by Rose Tremain (an awesome writer), called The Cupboard. I also enjoyed The Island, by Victoria Hyslip. There are some wonderful books for adults out there, so don't give up on the idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.