Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sheena's Secret Weapon

How I beat up writer's block!

This secret weapon works (nearly) every time! Whenever I'm having writer's block, I walk away from the computer and start cleaning. While I'm doing dishes and moping floors I am, of course, thinking about the story, because doing dishes and moping floors is the worst.

 I force myself to keep cleaning until the next sentence is burning a hole in my head, and by that time I abandon cleaning and turn my computer back on and get to writing. In really truly difficult story situations I have cleaned until my house was spotless, and still not discovered the route out of writer's block-topia, but at the very least I have a clean house, and a tired body, so I go to sleep, and then after a good long sleep, I try again. Usually a clean house is destressifying, and I have the energy I need to just put one word after another until one sticks.

Happy writing!


5 comments:

  1. Heh, cleaning is my anger secret weapon. Whenever I'm mad about something random and don't know what to do with all that annoyed energy, I clean. Very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, cleaning is my anger secret weapon. Whenever I'm mad about something random and don't know what to do with all that annoyed energy, I clean. Very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're going to be mad because this double posted. Someone's dishes are going to get done.

      Delete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.