Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Bells are Ringing

Merry Christmas everyone!!!  It is Christmas Eve, and like everyone else who celebrates this holiday, I’ve got a million things to get done before tomorrow.  So this is going to be a quick post. 

Many times in writing, I try really hard to make my words hit those emotional chords.  I believe that stories speak to us through emotional truths.  I know that I struggle immensely to get the right emotion on the page.  It is extremely challenging.
I’m sure that writing a song is far more complicated than I can imagine (writing a story sure was), but writing is just words and a song is words and music.  The music alone can tap into our emotions and make us feel, but combine that moving music with strong lyrics and the song can create a powerful emotional experience that words alone cannot do.

I love music, especially Christmas music.  Nothing else can bring the spirit of the season into my home like Christmas carols.  I love so many of the Christmas songs, and it is hard to find one that I can't at least sing a bar of, so it was touch to narrow this down, but here are my top four favorite Christmas songs.  I hope they will bring the spirit of Christmas into your home.

My favorite secular Christmas Carols:

1.  Carol of the Bells


 

2.  The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)



 And because I am a Christian, my favorite religious Christmas Carols:

1.  O Holy Night
 
 
2.  What Child is This

 

To me, these songs just capture the spirit and meaning of Christmas. 
What are your favorite Christmas Carols?

~MaryAnn

2 comments:

  1. These are all songs I've loved. And I, too, wonder about the talent of writing a song. Writing the lyrics, I mean. It must be so different to write words to a tune and a beat, to create a meaningful "poem" that fits so perfectly into the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to Prosers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.