Thursday, December 1, 2011

Practice practice practice

I'm still really sad about the death of Anne McCaffrey last week. First 'grown up' fantasy book I read was White Dragon, and I spent many a childhood year longing for a dragon (or fire lizard) of my very own. Worse, her death came not too long after that death of Diana Wynne Jones, one of my all-time favorite authors. Her books convey unparalleled wonder and imagination, and are always great fun to read (see especially Dogsbody, Deep Secret, and Howl's Moving Castle.

But I can without doubt say that there is one author who has had more influence on me than any other, and one who is happily still alive, healthy, and writing. That would be Tamora Pierce.

When I was in middle school, I found the Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness Quartet. To briefly sum up the plot, an eleven year old girl disguises herself as a boy to train as a knight. Through the course of the series, becomes a hero and a legend and saves the kingdom in the bargain.

There's lots to like in the series. Alanna is a very strong female character who overcomes many trials and much despair. But she's not one-dimensional or a Mary Sue. There's this really great moment where, despite being one of the toughest knights of the realm, she faints when getting her ears pierced.

The story certainly has served as inspiration for my writing and my determination to write strong female characters. But there's one line that still sticks with me more than others.

In the first book, twelve-year-old Alanna (or "Alan") is frustrated by her small size and lack of fighting strength. But the real blow comes when she has her first sword sparring match, and loses dramatically. She fears that she might never live up to the other boys because of her lack of skill. But then, her guardian says,

"Ye're just not a natural with a sword, Master Alan. Some are born to it… And then there's some that learn the sword."

Alanna takes that advice to heart. She practices every day, despite a crushing schedule of other training, her duties as a page, and hours of other weapons classes. And by the end of the series, she's considered one of the top swordfighters in the kingdom, despite having started out with no natural talent.

(Important point: By talent, I mean an innate skill that can be enhanced by practice more quickly than by a person lacking such talent. Talented people still have to work, they just may get there more quickly).

You see, I've never considered myself a talented writer. I'm not Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, who had her first books published when she was only fourteen, and has published a book every year since. My first stories were really, really terrible. In all ways. In fact, at the age when I was reading the Alanna series as a middle schooler, I was quietly despairing that all my friends seemed to have some talent, something that set them apart, while I was just kind of okay at everything. And into my late teenage years, and beyond, I gained more confidence but still despaired at my lack of natural writing talent.

But then, every so often, I'd think of that quote. And it finally occurred to me, well, maybe I can learn writing. Maybe if I sit down and practice and practice through my college work and tough internship schedule and later grad school and so on, maybe I can get a little better. And you know, I can safely say that I have gotten better over the years. And as for my stereotypically fragile writer's ego, I've now got my skills in science along with those in-progress writing skills to keep me afloat.

And just recently, the one time someone commented that I was talented*, I bristled just a tiny bit. Because really, I've worked hard and come a long way to get to where I am, and it didn't come naturally**. And I still have a long way to go before I win the Hugo, win the Nebula, and save the kingdom from evil. Well, two out of three wouldn't be so bad.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go practice some more.



*My mom, admittedly.

**Cruel truth: that second grade 'best science fiction award' that I like to talk about was actually based off a game my sister invented about ghosts on an island***. More fan fiction, than anything, and not an original creation. Woe!

***Even as an eight year old, I was like, um excuse me adults, this story doesn't meet the definition of science fiction…. In other words, I was talented in geekiness, if nothing else!

7 comments:

  1. My mom pressing Dragonsong into my 12yr old hands was my first intro to sci/fi fantasy. I ate, slept and breathed Pern for about two years until I added Patricia McKillip to my repertoire. Anne McCaffery will be sorely missed. I didn't find Diane Wynn Jones until a few years ago. Loved Howl's Moving Castle.

    I know someone who is a natural talent, and yes, she's brilliant and funny, but the thing she has so much more of than me is confidence. She knows she can do it. I have to pull the words kicking and screaming from my brain and then worry and fret over them forever. I wonder sometimes what I could accomplish with practice and that fearlessness she possesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as writers we all have our strengths and weaknesses. There are some things that come easy and other things that we struggle and struggle and struggle with. I'm not sure if there is anyone naturally talented at all aspects of story telling.

    Practice, practice, practice is the only way. :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamora Pierce is the reason I started writing. Seriously. I wanted to read one of her Alanna books, but we only had one car, and I was stuck in my house with my baby napping. I decided to write my own Alanna story. Six years, and four novels later, I'm still a fan.

    I agree with you on the practice comment. Cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about the practice. Have you read Stephen King's writing book/memoir? He argues that writing is something most people can get better at. He has a breakdown - some people are terrible and hopeless (you know it when you see it), some people are brilliant and were born brilliant (you know THAT when you see it), and the rest of us can improve in the range between passable and very, very good. :)

    Great post, Sabrina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies!

    That's such a cool story, Sheena! Sounds like a good topic for a post - in any case, I'd love to hear how your Alanna novel turned out.

    I haven't read Stephen King's books, Sarah, but I did read a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell that also argued that one needs a large amount of practice in anything before becoming truly skilled. I'm doing a terrible job of describing the book, but it was interesting.

    All right, and maybe I do like to think I'm talented in some things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, Sabrina! You and I feel very much the same way about Tamora Pierce. She is amazing.

    Not that I have many readers left, but I did give your blog a plug here: http://melaniecrousesblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/holy-canolli.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. "My first stories were really, really terrible. In all ways. In fact, at the age when I was reading the Alanna series as a middle schooler, I was quietly despairing that all my friends seemed to have some talent, something that set them apart, while I was just kind of okay at everything. And into my late teenage years, and beyond, I gained more confidence but still despaired at my lack of natural writing talent."

    -----

    I wish I'd known this about you!! Every day after middle school/high school I'd run home and write but NEVER thought my writing was anything better than crap, because I wasn't as good as I imagined everyone else was - and had no clue what to do about it (yeah, I wasn't the swiftest). I didn't figure out the whole practice makes closer-to-perfect thing until a few years ago (yeah, still not the swiftest).

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.