So I blog about one TV show, and apparently that is enough to make Sheena think I watch a lot of TV.
So either Sheena doesn't watch any TV at all (which is possible since she reads so much) and thinks watching one show is one show too many, or she has somehow tapped into my TV like some sort of Nielson rating system. Either way, she is right. I do watch too much TV.
Every thursday night I ignore my kids, husband, housework, and dreams of publishing for about an hour while Sheena is reading or writing her way into fame. Gotta find a way to catch up with her.
Here are five reasons why I'm so addicted.
1. Elena: Elena is an awesome main character. She is not some damsel in distress, but she isn't some kick butt vampire slaying chick either. I get tired of the two extremes, and the idea that a character must be a physically strong to be a strong person. There are all kind of strengths. A strong character to me is one who stands up for what she believes in, protects those she loves, and willing to face insurmountable odds when she has to. That is Elena, and she is an awesome heroine.
2. Awesome supporting characters: The show does focus on Elena and the vampire brothers who love her, but there are a lot of other interesting characters as well. There is Bonnie, Elena's best friend and a powerful witch who is as devoted to Elena as Elena is devoted to her. Katherine, Elena's vampire look alike, who is conniving and selfish but every once and a while seems almost redeemable. She is also in love with the vampire brothers. Klaus who is a well-developed, self-centered villain who truly loves his family, even the ones he killed. Those are just a few, but the Vampire Diaries has a strong supporting cast. There are a lot of interesting characters and interesting relationships between them. They really are fun to watch.
3. Brotherly love: I know, I should be more into the love triangle (I really like love triangles), but I find the complex relationship between Stefan and Damon more fascinating. The two brothers definitely have a love-hate relationship. They clash all the time and are even in love with the same girl, but they will sacrifice anything for each other. I always like a good familial love story.
4. The twists and turns: This show is really one wild ride. Last week I blogged about how I love big twists, well this show has a lot of them. It always keeps me guessing and never ceases to surprise me. I love it.
5. Balls, galas, and cotillions galore: It seems like every week there is some big founders day event that gives all the characters an excuse to dress up like Gone with the Wind. Mystic Falls is The Best Town Ever.
Okay, it is a little soap opera-ish, but it is fun. Definitely my guilty pleasure.
So what about you? Confession time, what shows do you love to watch? Or am I really the only couch potato surrounded by literary geniuses.
For more on Vampire Diaries go here. http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-vampire-diaries