Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Five Reasons why I Love Vampire Diaries

So I blog about one TV show, and apparently that is enough to make Sheena think I watch a lot of TV.

http://theprosers.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-ive-learned-from-first-month-of.html#comment-form

So either Sheena doesn't watch any TV at all (which is possible since she reads so much) and thinks watching one show is one show too many, or she has somehow tapped into my TV like some sort of Nielson rating system. Either way, she is right. I do watch too much TV.

Since I'm confessing, I might as well admit that I LOVE CW's Vampire Diaries series. Maybe I'm a little outside the target age, but I don't care, it is so good.

Every thursday night I ignore my kids, husband, housework, and dreams of publishing for about an hour while Sheena is reading or writing her way into fame. Gotta find a way to catch up with her.


Here are five reasons why I'm so addicted.



1. Elena: Elena is an awesome main character. She is not some damsel in distress, but she isn't some kick butt vampire slaying chick either. I get tired of the two extremes, and the idea that a character must be a physically strong to be a strong person. There are all kind of strengths. A strong character to me is one who stands up for what she believes in, protects those she loves, and willing to face insurmountable odds when she has to. That is Elena, and she is an awesome heroine.

2. Awesome supporting characters: The show does focus on Elena and the vampire brothers who love her, but there are a lot of other interesting characters as well. There is Bonnie, Elena's best friend and a powerful witch who is as devoted to Elena as Elena is devoted to her. Katherine, Elena's vampire look alike, who is conniving and selfish but every once and a while seems almost redeemable. She is also in love with the vampire brothers. Klaus who is a well-developed, self-centered villain who truly loves his family, even the ones he killed. Those are just a few, but the Vampire Diaries has a strong supporting cast. There are a lot of interesting characters and interesting relationships between them. They really are fun to watch.

3. Brotherly love: I know, I should be more into the love triangle (I really like love triangles), but I find the complex relationship between Stefan and Damon more fascinating. The two brothers definitely have a love-hate relationship. They clash all the time and are even in love with the same girl, but they will sacrifice anything for each other. I always like a good familial love story.

4. The twists and turns: This show is really one wild ride. Last week I blogged about how I love big twists, well this show has a lot of them. It always keeps me guessing and never ceases to surprise me. I love it.


5. Balls, galas, and cotillions galore: It seems like every week there is some big founders day event that gives all the characters an excuse to dress up like Gone with the Wind. Mystic Falls is The Best Town Ever.

Okay, it is a little soap opera-ish, but it is fun. Definitely my guilty pleasure.

So what about you? Confession time, what shows do you love to watch? Or am I really the only couch potato surrounded by literary geniuses.

~MaryAnn

For more on Vampire Diaries go here. http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-vampire-diaries

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE Vampire Diaries. I have to add another reason: Damon's eyes. Both male leads are masters of the smouldering eyes to the point of self-parody, but Damon's are spectacular. And that's a big compliment coming from me, because he's too short for me :)

    I don't get cable, but I buy 3 shows on iTunes: Vampire Diaries, Supernatural (brilliantly funny writing and the guys are hot), and American Horror Story (a parade of weirdness, kind of like Twin Peaks, and Jessica Lange carries it).

    Can't wait for new episodes to start up again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some television. My favorite guilty pleasure is this weird show on the science channel called Oddities. It's a reality show about these people who run Obscura, this antique shop for weird and wacky stuff. It's not the stuff they sell that' fascinates me, although if you show me a two headed pig, I will turn and take a look, it's the people who have to own the stuff. Because, honestly, who wants to be surrounded by cat skeletons and medieval torture devices? I mean, I wouldn't mind going to a museum and looking at that kind of stuff, and then go home to my down comforter, and pictures of trees.

    Interesting, interesting show.

    Now I'm heading back to my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never watched this show, but you make it sound pretty interesting. Nothing wrong with a good soap operish t.v. show. mm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Vampire Diaries too; it probably helps that Ian Somerhalder is my celebrity crush, so Damon can do no harm in my book hee hee.

    All the characters are very interesting; my family knows not to mess with me on Thursdays between 8-9, so I got it bad like you. And, I doubt I'm in their target range either; I'm 29 years old.

    Keep smiling,
    Yawatta Hosby

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Sarah and yawattahosby, I'm so glad I'm not alone. :) Damon is definitely my number 6 reason. Love him.

    @ Sheena, good to know you do watch TV. :) That show sounds interesting. I bet it could inspire some quirky characters.

    Thanks for commenting, everyone, and reading to those of you who are lurking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack! So how did I miss posting on this? Sorry, I posted in my head about a hundred times, if that counts. :)

    We only have Netflix, no TV, so we usually get to the party late on things. I went and checked out an episode of Vampire Diaries after your post. Looks promising. How do the books stack up?

    A few of our favs are Psych and Castle, and I liked MI-6 (British spy stuff). Hmm, I think I detect a trend here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer the tv series to the book. :)

    Castle looks fun, but I've only seen the commercials. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was sixteen years old, L.J. Smith was one of my very favorite authors. I read her books obsessively, including both Vampire Diaries and the Secret Circle. Pure teen melodrama. I tried to read the new ones (after the original four), but they were really, really bad.

    Anyway, the existence of the shows makes my teenage self happy, but I don't really watch the shows. Part of me still thinks, "THAT'S NOT HOW IT HAPPENS."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm speechless to this Vampire diaries things.. i've been watched the 1st and 2nd session twice...and i'm obsessed for D and E.. can't wait for session 3 episode 10... im from indonesia, maybe i'll get late for the last episode..;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, Naynurdza. It is so cool that someone in Indonesia loves the same show I do.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am absolutely in love with TVD! The writing might be a bit on the over-dramatic side, but I simply adore the characters.

    (And of course, I love Damon and Elena together.) The showrunners are very attentive to the details, specifically when it comes to parallels. I've been loving all of the DE parallels in Season 4.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.