Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hello, is Anyone Out There?


When I first started writing, I was all alone, just me and a laptop. I would sometimes talk my husband’s ear off whenever I made a brilliant discovery like why adverbs are evil and how to weave scenery into the narrative. My husband was cute and would feign interest, but I've been married to him long enough to know he was feigning (although sometimes I prattled on anyway). Still, it was lonely not to have anyone to share my new-found passion with.







Then I found writing forums, and they were awesome (met my lovely fellow bloggers there). Finally there was a group of people who loved what I loved, who I could bounce ideas off of and learn from and relate to. It was so much fun and so helpful.




But mostly, it was nice to know that I was not alone. That there were others banging away at their laptops late into the night, hoping that someday they would see their name in print and have readers posting glowing reviews of their books on goodreads. It made me feel less crazy and less shy about my dream.




So now as I start this blogging adventure, I'm hoping to find more people to connect with. I know there are a million blogs out there, and finding readers is like tossing a bottle into the sea of cyberspace. Still I hope that people will find this and will open a dialogue with me, and we can share what we love about storytelling.




So if you love movies, TV, books, and plays; if you love complex, intriguing characters; if you love fantasy, young adult, paranormal romances, and/or the classics; if you love to write and talk about writing; stick around. Post a link to your blog if you got one. I'd love to get to know you.





~MaryAnn


Picture is by just4you at stock.xchng http://www.sxc.hu/photo/582414

4 comments:

  1. Great post, MaryAnn. I know the Internet has opened up a whole community of writers for me, and I'm so grateful for all of you. I would be going insane if I didn't have people to share ideas with who are as passionate as I am. (And yes, my husband is feigning too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had more than just your husband to bounce ideas off of. Don't forget your very supportive sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon, I know who you are. Thanks for your support. :)

    And thanks Sarah and Sheena for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.