Monday, June 17, 2013

SheZow -Transgender Superhero?

Sabrina wrote a piece about cross-dressing heroines, that made my day. From Shakespeare, to Tamora Pierce, to Mulan, she explains why it works, and what to avoid. It's a brilliant post, and I hope you read it. 

It's funny, sometimes we at Prosers seem to have a weekly theme. I've been thinking about writing this blog post for a few weeks now, and when I read Sabrina's post, I knew I had to talk about this.

One Million Moms has called for protests against the Hub children's network broadcasting the gender-bending cartoon called SheZow.Recently, I've been following along about a show soon to air on the Hub, called SheZow.  It's about this twelve year-old boy who receives a magic ring which gives him superpowers, only the twist is, it turns him into a female superhero, called SheZow.

While I love a story about girls dressing up as boys and finding freedom to be who they are, I'm not as big of a fan, generally speaking, of stories that shame boys for dressing like a girl. If the joke is, "Oh how embarrassing, that boy is in a dress", then I'm not impressed. I don't like being told that it's embarrassing, or debasing to be a girl, and I don't find it funny anymore.

Because of that, I was going to pass on watching this show with my kids.

But then, I read this press release from onemillionmoms.com against the show. Their main complaint is that  the show is indoctrinating little boys and girls into accepting the LGTBQ lifestyle.  

This is a direct quote from the press release.

There is no doubt this superhero character will confuse kids. Children desire to be just like superheroes and will mimic a superhero's every action, even to the point of dressing up in costumes to resemble the characters as much as possible. It won't be long before little boys are saying, "I want to be a girl, so I can help people and save the world!"
...and that's where they lost me.

I don't see the problem in boys wanting to be like girls. I have zero problems with boys wanting to help people. I do, however, have an issue with the logic here.

My daughter dresses up as the Hulk, and Spider-Man. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. She's still a girl, even in a superhero costume.

 Millions of girls, from 2- 100 love superheros. That doesn't make us gay. But if a boy sees this show, he's going to want to be a girl (and that's a bad thing?) and will want to help people (again... this is a problem?) and save the world. ( K. now I see the problem...no wait.)

The idea that boys can't like girl books, or pink clothes, or with a movie with a female lead or else they'll "turn" gay is ridiculous. And it's DAMAGING to women. The idea that a woman's POV CAN'T be interesting or listened to, or else it'll turn men or boys gay is false, and hurting to our society, and our daughters. I'm not even going to mention the effect it has on our sons.

My son watched Brave, and Tangled, and LIKED it. My husband has a pink tie. Still not gay. 

I don't see where the problem is in having little boys think that girls can save the world.

I don't have a problem with boy's watching a show about a female superhero, or even a boy dressed up like a female superhero. This female superhero won't be objectified. And if he is, the kid's will notice, and see how that isn't fair. 

 I DO however see a real problem in a million moms thinking that it is a problem.



While I expect SheZow will have a ton and a half of jokes at girl's expense, jokes like, "oh how embarrassing you have to wear a skirt" or "how can I fight someone in high heels?," I hope that the jokes tell the truth. I hope that SheZow is able to be a powerful hero, who poses more like Word Girl, then Black Widow.

I hope that they don't make fun of women, but I think it should be okay. The show's creator Obie Scott Wade via the marysue:

He and his writer’s team—whom Wade notes is gender balanced—are sure to treat female respectfully, though, rather than as a joke. SheZow “shows a very positive role-model in SheZow,” Wade explains. “There’s been a number of SheZows over the decades, throughout his family. It’s something that’s passed down from generation to generation. And so women are very much honored in the show, and in his family.” 

The station that airs SheZow, the Hub, is also well known for a show called My LITTLE PONY- FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, which has a large unexpected following who call them self Bronies- men who are super fans of this ultra girly sparkly show.

These Bronies are amazing, and in my opinion helping to step our society into a better direction. I hope SheZow does the same thing. So, we'll be watching.

I'm one mom who would like my son to want to be like a girl, and help people, and save the world.

Who's with me?
~Sheena

p.s. The blog tour for my book FUNNY TRAGIC CRAZY MAGIC is starting today, and to celebrate, I'm giving away a 25 dollar Amazon Gift Card. You can enter once a day.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

Think of all the books you can buy. :)


2 comments:

  1. I am seriously with you 110% on this one. The premise annoyed me at first for the very same reason. I don't like when boys switch genders only to make fun of girls. But you make a strong argument and I'm happy to say I see your point and agree with it.

    My 6 year old son loves My Little Ponies, and he and his sister spend as much time playing that as they do playing Batman. I don't see anything wrong with him pretending to be Rainbow Dash, just like I don't care if my daughter wants to dress up as Robin. People get uptight about the stupidest things.

    I'll give this show a chance too, Sheena. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have boys, but I'm with you. Boys should be allowed to like "girly" things. My girls lovey My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. It really is a high caliber show, so if Shezow is anything like My Little Ponies, it should be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Got an opinion? Use it! Remember... be silly, be honest, and be nice/proofread.